Disney CEO Bob Iger has reportedly confirmed that Star Wars movies will go on hiatus after this year’s release of The Rise of Skywalker. A slowdown for the franchise has been discussed for some time now after the underperformance of 2018 ‘s Solo: A Star Wars Story and the polarizing reaction to Star Wars: The Last-place Jedi. Now, Disney is forming it official.
After Disney acquired Lucasfilm, the studio disclosed daring a blueprint for the Star Wars universe. In addition to adding three more movies to the Skywalker Saga, Disney hoped to expand the franchise by publish spin-off standalone films. The first, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, was a success, but Solo’s poor reception pushed the creatives behind the dealership to consider a brand-new coming. The Rise of Skywalker is expected to be a major box office smash, with pre-sales once break-dance records.
Brent Lang, Executive Editor for Variety, shared a statement from Iger on Twitter confirming an upcoming hiatus for brand-new boast Star Wars movies. Iger did not comment on how long the hiatus will previous or what this mean for the exhaust dates previously secured for future Star Wars films. He did, nonetheless, mention that there will be “lots of activity on Tv front” through Disney +.
Next Tuesday, the first live-action Star Wars television series will be secreted. The Mandalorianwill debut on the brand new Disney+ streaming service. Early reactions to the series have been favorable, and a second season has already been told. The next streak in development is a Rogue One prequel starring Diego Luna, who will return as Cassian Andor. Follower were also thrilled by the announcement that Ewan McGregor will be reprising his persona as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a new streak. Plus, the streamer will boast a brand-new season of the inspired substantiate Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
In short, Star Wars fans will not be left wanting in between feature film, as it seems Disney is going all-in on Star Wars video proves. The news of a hiatus comes shortly after the planned trilogy from the Game of Thrones pioneers was suddenly canceled. Previously, Rian Johnson was attached to a brand-new trilogy, and Marvel’s Kevin Feige was also in talks to produce a movie. After all of this news, Disney’s plans for future movies is more unclear than ever. That said today, Star Wars is still a highly profitable franchise, so Disney will almost certainly develop more movies at some station in the future. However, a slowdown may be a smart choice. Some followers are leery of Disney’s approach toward the galaxy far far away, and the reactions to recent films show Disney needs to take a step back before scurrying into another trilogy. When The Force Awakens was released, it was a momentous artistic contest. In ordering to recapture and hold onto that occult, Star Wars films may need to remain infrequent.
Source: Brent Lang
Read more: screenrant.com